Skip to main content

Jacob, Esau, and the Birthright

 This is a little devotional thought that I gave during a kid's cooking school at our church this past summer (2013). It is based on the story in found in Genesis 25 & 27 of Jacob's deception and Esau's birthright. Feel free to share this story with the younger members of the family of God.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.

31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.

32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?

33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.

34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.
(Genesis 25:30-34)
How many of us have said a lie before? How many have cheated on a test? Was it right or wrong? What does God think of lying?
Lying lips are abomination to the Lord: but they that deal truly are His delight. (Proverbs 12:22)
God hates lies. We must not lie. The word “abomination” means “anything greatly disliked”, “something that is immoral, disgusting, or shameful”.

Why does God feel so strongly against lying? It is because Satan is a liar and the father of lies (John 8:44). He brought sadness to heaven because he lied to all the angels and cause one-third of them to distrust Jesus. He brought sin and wickedness to this world because he lied to Eve (Genesis 3). And he lies to us today! The enemy tells us that if we cheat on our test, that no one will know. But God knows. The enemy lies and tells us that if we steal a cookie, no one will see. But God says, “Be sure your sins will find you out” (Numbers 32:23).

When we listen to the Devil’s lies, we are not trusting Jesus. And when we lie, it reminds Jesus of the awful war in heaven, and we make Him sad (Revelation 12). Jesus hates lying because it is the reason for sin on this earth. We want to only make Jesus happy; so let us only say and hear truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Me

In family worship, we have reading from the book of Ezekiel. There are a lot of deep and awesome truths found in that book, some of which unlock other controversies that we have yet to understand. Throughout the coming weeks, I will write about the book of Ezekiel based on various points my family members bring out each night. I pray that you will blessed.   I was lost, but now am found. But who found me? Who was looking for me? "For thus saith the Lord God; 'Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.' " (Ezekiel 34:11) And why does He want to find me ? "As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out My sheep , and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day." (Ezekiel 34:12) And as my favorite Scripture says, "I have called you by your name; you are Mine " (Isaiah 43:1). The Cloudy and Dark Day It i

My Birthday Project

This month, PlugIn2God is focusing on witnessing for Christ. Incidentally, I am going to be celebrating my sixteenth birthday this month. Now typically, sixteenth birthdays are huge extravaganzas that rival even the best weddings. In failing to come up with something "big" or "exciting", I decided to forget about the party. I decided to undertake a mission project for this month. Here are the details: I am asking for Bibles, copies of Steps to Christ , and monetary donations. The literature may be new or used; the only condition is that the "used" is usable and in good condition. The material will be given to one of the following organizations:  Maranatha Volunteers International ; Bibles Unbound ; or African Youth Ministries .   .  Donations will be accepted for the entire month of September. It will help me to complete my Literature Evangelism honor for Pathfinders. It will help you begin your journey as a gospel-giving Christian! To find out whe