Skip to main content

That Leftover Cereal

My family has been eating a lot of hot cereals lately. Barley, oats, kamut, rye, millet, amaranth -- you name it, we had it. When you top a bowl with molasses and homemade hazelnut-maple cream, hot cereals make a delicious and nutritious breakfast!

The trouble comes when there are leftovers. It is never enough for the whole family again; and no one person remembers (or wants) to eat it. Sometimes, we use leftovers to make creamy grain milk for smoothies; one time, I even put the leftovers in the blender with some milk, and made pancakes!

Today, I tried a new thing: cake. It actually came out really well.





I took the leftover nut cream from breakfast (this time, it was almond sweetened with agave), and I added to it a dash of cardamon, a dash or so of pumpkin spice, and a few anise seeds. I also added some more agave for sweetness. We no longer use a lot of cinnamon and nutmeg because of their medicinal properties. That would be like taking antibiotics for pain: after a while, you need a higher dosage to meet a real need. The pumpkin spice has some nutmeg and cinnamon, though.

I heated about two cups of milk (Westsoy, in this case) and placed a 1-inch piece of vanilla bean. I put the cereal and the milk in the blender, and whizzed it on high for two to three minutes until it was smooth. Then I poured it into a bowl, added some oil and baking powder, and mixed in some all-purpose flour. Usually, we would use whole wheat pastry flour; but it was a new pack, and I did not want to open it. =)

As you can see, I did not follow a recipe; I did not even measure. =P So sharing is a bit awkward. Try to follow the ratio and hope for the best.

A word on baking time: it varies. Depending on the cereal you use and the temperament (not temperature) of your oven, you will need to adjust the time; so have your cake tester handy! In my case, I used leftover stovetop oatmeal, about one cup, and leftover crockpot millet-amaranth cereal, about one cup. We baked the cake in the toaster oven (long story); and it took approximately fifty minutes on 350 degrees Fahrenheit. The cereal will cause the texture to be moist; but fear not, because it was precooked. I would say that forty-five minutes on 350 degrees will bake it well.

Leftover Cereal Cake

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of very warm milk
  • 2 cups of cooked cereal
  • 1/4 cup of agave (or 1/3 cup of other sweeteners)
  • 1/4 cup of oil
  • Spices of choice
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
Directions:
  1. Blend the first five ingredients, working up to high, for 2-3 minutes, or until very smooth.
  2. Pour contents into a large mixing bowl. With a whisk or large fork, quickly stir in baking powder. 
  3. Using a spatula or a large, flat spoon, stir in enough flour to make a cake batter.
  4. Oil and flour a baking pan. Pour in batter, and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
  5. Let cool thoroughly before serving or storing.
  6. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Me

In family worship, we have reading from the book of Ezekiel. There are a lot of deep and awesome truths found in that book, some of which unlock other controversies that we have yet to understand. Throughout the coming weeks, I will write about the book of Ezekiel based on various points my family members bring out each night. I pray that you will blessed.   I was lost, but now am found. But who found me? Who was looking for me? "For thus saith the Lord God; 'Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.' " (Ezekiel 34:11) And why does He want to find me ? "As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out My sheep , and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day." (Ezekiel 34:12) And as my favorite Scripture says, "I have called you by your name; you are Mine " (Isaiah 43:1). The Cloudy and Dark Day It i

My Birthday Project

This month, PlugIn2God is focusing on witnessing for Christ. Incidentally, I am going to be celebrating my sixteenth birthday this month. Now typically, sixteenth birthdays are huge extravaganzas that rival even the best weddings. In failing to come up with something "big" or "exciting", I decided to forget about the party. I decided to undertake a mission project for this month. Here are the details: I am asking for Bibles, copies of Steps to Christ , and monetary donations. The literature may be new or used; the only condition is that the "used" is usable and in good condition. The material will be given to one of the following organizations:  Maranatha Volunteers International ; Bibles Unbound ; or African Youth Ministries .   .  Donations will be accepted for the entire month of September. It will help me to complete my Literature Evangelism honor for Pathfinders. It will help you begin your journey as a gospel-giving Christian! To find out whe