Skip to main content

Pink Lemonade Popsicles!

With the heat wave passing through the Eastern United States, everyone is looking for ways to cool off. So I came up with this homemade popsicle that is great for anytime of the day!

My family is working on being careful with food combinations so that we can have prime digestion after each meal. One of the things we look out for is combining fruits with vegetables. It is alright to have citrus fruits with veggie meals (oranges, grapefruits, lemons, kumquats, etc.); but eating other fruits with vegetables can cause fermentation and prolonged digestion. This is because fruits digest rather quickly, compared to vegetables; and the broken down sugars will begin to ferment if it sits in the stomach acid for too long.

Enough with the yucky A&P stuff (anatomy and physiology). 

For the stated reasons, this recipe uses... BEETS! Hint to the chef: don't tell anyone until after they are done and they want to know. My brothers loved it when they ate it; but when I was informing them of how I intended to make it, they asked me to keep the recipe to myself. =)

Beets strengthen  and purify the blood -- which explains their deep red color. Most people cook them because it tastes better. The sugar in the beets is more pronounced when you bake the beets in their skins, and then peel after cooking. It is delicious; but the nutritional content is higher when you eat them raw. 

As for me, I have bad memories of my mom juicing beets. The taste is okay; but it has a strong flavor. But blend it raw with lemons -- and yippee! Nutrition you can swallow.




Pink Lemonade Popsicle

Ingredients: 

  • 1 tablespoon of lemon zest (optional and adjustable)
  • 1 cup of lemon juice
  • ¼ cup of raw beet
  • ½ cup of brown sugar
  • ½ cup of water
  • 1 tablespoon kuzu powder
  • Sliver of ginger (optional)
  • 2 cups of ice


Directions:

  1. Zest the lemon, then cut, and squeeze juice into measuring cup; place in blender.
  2. Peel and chop the beet(s); place in blender.
  3. Add the other ingredients, excluding the ice. Blend until smooth.
  4. Add ice, and blend on high for about two minutes.
  5. Pour into molds, and freeze for a full twenty-four hours.
  6. Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Me

In family worship, we have reading from the book of Ezekiel. There are a lot of deep and awesome truths found in that book, some of which unlock other controversies that we have yet to understand. Throughout the coming weeks, I will write about the book of Ezekiel based on various points my family members bring out each night. I pray that you will blessed.   I was lost, but now am found. But who found me? Who was looking for me? "For thus saith the Lord God; 'Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.' " (Ezekiel 34:11) And why does He want to find me ? "As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out My sheep , and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day." (Ezekiel 34:12) And as my favorite Scripture says, "I have called you by your name; you are Mine " (Isaiah 43:1). The Cloudy and Dark Day It i

My Birthday Project

This month, PlugIn2God is focusing on witnessing for Christ. Incidentally, I am going to be celebrating my sixteenth birthday this month. Now typically, sixteenth birthdays are huge extravaganzas that rival even the best weddings. In failing to come up with something "big" or "exciting", I decided to forget about the party. I decided to undertake a mission project for this month. Here are the details: I am asking for Bibles, copies of Steps to Christ , and monetary donations. The literature may be new or used; the only condition is that the "used" is usable and in good condition. The material will be given to one of the following organizations:  Maranatha Volunteers International ; Bibles Unbound ; or African Youth Ministries .   .  Donations will be accepted for the entire month of September. It will help me to complete my Literature Evangelism honor for Pathfinders. It will help you begin your journey as a gospel-giving Christian! To find out whe