|Missions. Travelling abroad. Trekking uncharted territory. Saving a life. |
Sounds cool, right? Well you can do it too.
Missions. Travelling beyond your comfort zone. Trekking through hearts hardened against God's love. Saving a soul for Christ.
"Well," you may be thinking, "that's not real missionary work."
Sorry, you wasted a thought.
Look at the last words Jesus says to His disciples before ascending to His Father: "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth" (Acts 1:8).
Notice that to be witnesses for Christ, we must be filled with His spirit (the Holy Ghost) and we must start where we are. The disciples were native to Jerusalem and Judea. That was their home base, their headquarters. They needed to begin with their own family, friends, neighbors, and associates before branching out to the "uttermost part of the earth". We must do the same.
God has sent us, His disciples, to be His messengers-- messengers of LOVE, messengers of HOPE, messengers of PEACE. In Philippians 4:7, Paul says, "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." When we share the peace of God with others, they become focused on God and His mission; and, before you know it, God's peace is resting in the hearts and minds of nearly everyone we meet.
As the songs says, "Let there be peace on earth / And let it begin with me." It starts with YOU. The Lord of the harvest needs laborers, but He's waiting for you to ask for them. i>"He [Jesus] told them [the disciples], "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field"
What You Can Do:
- Pray -- Ask God to employ you and strengthen you to His work. (Luke 10:1-2; Nehemiah 6:9)
- Walk the Talk -- If you say you're a follower of Christ, live it! (James 2:14-26; Ephesians 4; Romans 12:2)
- Love God -- This will help you love yourself and others. (Luke 10:27, Deuteronomy 6:5, Leviticus 19:18)
- Fear Not-- Don't be ashamed of your faith. (2 Timothy 1:7-10; Matthew 5:14-16)
- "Preach" -- Share the last day message. (Revelation 14:6-12; Matthew 28:18-20)
- Encourage -- Help your friends and family to stay close to God. (Job 16:1-5)
- Be Kind -- Don't let petty things ruin relationships. (Romans 12:10,13,17-21)
- Be United -- Have Bible study and plan projects with friends. (Acts 2:1, 42-47; 1 Timothy 4:12; Matthew 18:19-20)
- Develop a Personal Ministry Project (Click Here)
- Go Forth -- And while you're out there, give your all.