Skip to main content

I Find Mercy (When I Look at the Cross)

But do I accept it?

I believe that one of the most difficult hurdles in the plan of salvation is in overcoming the belief that God is out to get me. Sure, we understand that in theory; it makes sense when we are in line with His will. But what about when I fall -   doesn't He have to punish me?

No, you say. That is what Jesus died for.

Fine. My penalty is paid. But what about blessings: surely, I am undeserving of those.

Well...


Hardened by Mercy

And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.
(Exodus 7:3)
Notice firstly that this is the Lord speaking. It did always puzzle me why God would harden Pharaoh's heart on purpose seeing that He really wanted Israel free. After all, it was just as much torture for them as it was for the king of Egypt.

But I have discovered an answer - one that hurts. It hurts because... I do that.

My family and I have been listening to a series of articles written in the 1890's by E.J. Waggoner. Published in the Present Truth periodical, the series shows that the everlasting gospel of Revelation 14:7 is the very same one that was preached to and accepted by Abraham of old. The Everlasting Covenant goes through the Hebrews' history to compare it to the new covenant that Christianity holds so dear and reveals that, in fact, they are one and the same; that God has never changed His plan or purpose, except as was necessary to weave around human doubts and failings.

In discussing Israel's deliverance from Egypt, this pioneer points out that Pharaoh's heart was hardened against God's mercy. Thus God hardened Pharaoh's heart, because it was His bestowal of mercy that resulted in the king's resistence.

Did you catch that?

God's mercy is what kept Pharaoh away. God's mercy is what caused Pharaoh to reject God.

It is obviously humanly possible; but how does that play out in our own lives? An example would best be shown from my own life.


Being Vulnerable

A personal struggle that I face when I fail God is that of returning to Him. (No, that is not extraordinary.) The reason starts out as, I am such a sinner, I am so vile, etc. But it swiftly moves to I don't understand why God would want to take me back. I know better. I know that no matter how far I have fallen, God is willing to accept me back into His fold. I know that He would run miles just to find me. I know that He loves me so abundantly that He would - excuse me, He did - die for me.

Yet the very thought of those absolute truths is what trips me up. Why do You love me, Lord? Why would You take back a sinner? Would You do it the next time?

God and I have a deal that I am not to ask those sort of questions. No more questioning His love, no more doubting His grace. At least not verbally - but it helps me make the first step in returning to Him.

The amazing thing that I see on the cross is not only the forgiving of sins and the re-acceptance of a sinner. I also see a loading with benefits. You see, the thing about justification is that is is immediate, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye. It is a work of faith only; there is nothing that I can do to be justified. I can only look at the cross, accept its atonement, and believe in God's love. I have faith that He will be merciful to me, "for He is faithful that promised."
I, even I, am He that blotteth out thy transgressions for Mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins. Put Me in remembrance: let us plead together: declare thou, that thou mayest be justified.
(Isaiah 43:25-26)
All I have to do is ask - declare thou - and He will forgive for His sake, not for my merits.

Not by Works

Blessings are upon the head of the just: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked.
(Proverbs 10:6)
The second half of the struggle is am I deserving of blessings? The answer: absolutely not. But it was never about you.

The verse above says that the just will received blessings. But I am not just - nothing close to it. But remember how one is made just? For God's sake. "Put Me in remembrance: let us plead together: declare thou, that thou mayest be justified."

So now, God can put blessings upon your head, because in His sight, you are just. Isn't God wonderful?


Hard or Soft?

At some point, Pharaoh knew that he had sinned against God and he pleaded for God's mercy.
Then Pharaoh called for Moses and Aaron in haste; and he said, I have sinned against the LORD your God, and against you. Now therefore forgive, I pray thee, my sin only this once, and intreat the LORD your God, that he may take away from me this death only.
(Exodus 10:16-17)
He put God in remembrance, he declared, and God justified him. The proof?
And he went out from Pharaoh, and intreated the LORD. And the LORD turned a mighty strong west wind, which took away the locusts, and cast them into the Red sea; there remained not one locust in all the coasts of Egypt.
(Exodus 10:18-19)
He will turn again, He will have compassion upon us; He will subdue our iniquities; and Thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea.
(Micah 7:19)
But, in the sight of God's great compassion, Pharaoh still hardened his heart. He could not seem to accept or reconcile the reality of God's mercy. He could not understand how one moment there can be plagues, and next moment, peace and calm. He rejected God's love because it was too wonderful for him.

What will you choose? Will you accept His mercy, or will you harden your heart against, believing the lies that He does not want to forgive or bless you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Me

In family worship, we have reading from the book of Ezekiel. There are a lot of deep and awesome truths found in that book, some of which unlock other controversies that we have yet to understand. Throughout the coming weeks, I will write about the book of Ezekiel based on various points my family members bring out each night. I pray that you will blessed.   I was lost, but now am found. But who found me? Who was looking for me? "For thus saith the Lord God; 'Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.' " (Ezekiel 34:11) And why does He want to find me ? "As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out My sheep , and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day." (Ezekiel 34:12) And as my favorite Scripture says, "I have called you by your name; you are Mine " (Isaiah 43:1). The Cloudy and Dark Day It i

Remember the Titans: Remember the Leaders

     In life, there is a need for leaders—persons who will take up responsibility and be the trendsetters that others can follow. As Reed Markham, PhD, stated, “ Successful leaders see the opportunity in every difficulty rather than the difficulty in every opportunity”. “Remember the Titans” is an inspiring movie that teaches the truth about leadership and positive influence.      Among the many examples of leadership portrayed in this movie is Gerry Bertier, captain of the TC Williams football team. Gerry showed qualities of leadership by taking charge and following through with his responsibility. One of the ways he did this was by dropping Ray, his best friend, from the team due to the fact that Ray was not playing defensively on behalf of his Negro teammates, which resulted in the injury of one of them. Even though this decision threatened his friendship with Ray, Gerry still fulfilled his responsibility. Another quality of leadership Gerry shows is open-mindedness; he connected to