Skip to main content

"...And I Will Give You Rest..."

God has designed our bodies to take a break. Engaging in one activity for long periods of time without a change of pace would kill us -- sinful world or not. During the French Revolution, one of the "amendments" made was a ten-day week. In other words, the people would have their normal routine of work and studies for nine days, and then a grand celebration with feasting and drunkenness would have its commencement on the tenth day. Just think of it: nine days. Naturally, they wore out. The fact is, our bodies need a more frequent and consistent resting time. That is why we should go to sleep and wake up at the same time everyday. Our body has a clock, and it needs to be heeded.

At the Creation, God instituted measurements for time -- since, until then, there was no need for time; for "the earth was without form, and void." He made day: from one sunset to next one. He made the month: from one new moon to the next one. He made seasons: based on the seed-time and harvest, and the weather. He also made the week: made up of seven sunset-to-sunset days. (See Genesis 1:13-15; Psalm 104:19-23; Isaiah 66:23; Genesis 8:20-22; Psalm 74:16-17; Genesis 2:1-3.)

All nature follows the pattern which God set up. In Psalm 104:19-23 (see above), even the beasts respond to the changes in time -- from day to night, from summer to winter. Why shouldn't we?

God loves us; and so He set up a time for us to come apart and and rest. He understands us: He both made us and became like us. Therefore, He knows that we need a break from our worldly care and labor. So He created the Sabbath. He wants us to take the time to get to know Him so that we may know to better reflect Him throughout the week. And each week, as we come closer to Him, we take on more of that "Sabbath attitude" throughout our daily interactions during the week. We become perfect in Christ. Always with room to grow, of course; but we would be constantly, consistently, and continually acting upon what we learn from the Master.

We may reach this perfection if we just take the time to sit at the feet of the Savior. God has for us a weekly appointment; and if we will accept it, and put it into our own calenders, what peace and joy will result!

"And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat."
(Mark 6:31 KJV)


"And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."
(Luke 10:41-42 KJV)

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
(John 14:27 KJV)

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
(Matthew 11:28-30 KJV)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Me

In family worship, we have reading from the book of Ezekiel. There are a lot of deep and awesome truths found in that book, some of which unlock other controversies that we have yet to understand. Throughout the coming weeks, I will write about the book of Ezekiel based on various points my family members bring out each night. I pray that you will blessed.   I was lost, but now am found. But who found me? Who was looking for me? "For thus saith the Lord God; 'Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.' " (Ezekiel 34:11) And why does He want to find me ? "As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out My sheep , and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day." (Ezekiel 34:12) And as my favorite Scripture says, "I have called you by your name; you are Mine " (Isaiah 43:1). The Cloudy and Dark Day It i

My Birthday Project

This month, PlugIn2God is focusing on witnessing for Christ. Incidentally, I am going to be celebrating my sixteenth birthday this month. Now typically, sixteenth birthdays are huge extravaganzas that rival even the best weddings. In failing to come up with something "big" or "exciting", I decided to forget about the party. I decided to undertake a mission project for this month. Here are the details: I am asking for Bibles, copies of Steps to Christ , and monetary donations. The literature may be new or used; the only condition is that the "used" is usable and in good condition. The material will be given to one of the following organizations:  Maranatha Volunteers International ; Bibles Unbound ; or African Youth Ministries .   .  Donations will be accepted for the entire month of September. It will help me to complete my Literature Evangelism honor for Pathfinders. It will help you begin your journey as a gospel-giving Christian! To find out whe